Reklam
Reklam
Reklam
Reklam
Reklam
Reklam

Port of Melbourne crosses the 3-million-TEU mark for first time

AUSTRALIA's port of Melbourne handled a record 3

Port of Melbourne crosses the 3-million-TEU mark for first time

AUSTRALIA's port of Melbourne handled a record 3

13 February 2019 - 19:00

AUSTRALIA's port of Melbourne handled a record 3.018 million TEU in 2018, an increase of 7.6 per cent compared to the previous year.

'These strong trade results illustrate the strength of our supply chain and the businesses of our tenants and customers. As private manager of the port, the port of Melbourne is continuing to work with industry to grow the port and ensure a competitive supply chain,' a port spokesman told FreightWaves of New York.



Some 2.7 million TEU were handled by the stevedore companies that handle the international trade; that's 89 per cent of all the box traffic at the port in 2018. The remaining 11 per cent of box traffic mainly comprises the Bass Strait trade, with 250,000 TEU going over the Bass Strait, as well as 137,000 TEU to Tasmania and 113,000 from the island.



The port of Melbourne benefits from a generally growing population and economy in its hinterland while, simultaneously, enjoying little in the way of competition. There are no major box ports for a considerable distance given that the port of Adelaide is 413 miles away and port Botany in Sydney is 443 miles away.



The main containerised cargoes at Melbourne are miscellaneous manufactures, furniture, electrical equipment, miscellaneous food preparations, metal manufactures, beverages, timber, non-ferrous metals, paper and fibreboards and dairy products.



Also of note is the motor vehicle trade with 425,000 units handled by the port of Melbourne in the last calendar year. It is a fairly steady trade with 103,000 to 112,000 units handled each quarter. Units in this category included new motor vehicles, transport equipment, machinery, and second-hand motor vehicles.


WORLD SHIPPING

This news 152 hits received.