Reklam
Reklam
Reklam
Reklam
Reklam

Ghana's Tema port raises box fees 11pc to fund terminal construction

THE Government of Ghana has granted permission for the Port of Tema to raise container handling charges by an average of 10

Ghana's Tema port raises box fees 11pc to fund terminal construction

THE Government of Ghana has granted permission for the Port of Tema to raise container handling charges by an average of 10

29 November 2019 - 19:00

THE Government of Ghana has granted permission for the Port of Tema to raise container handling charges by an average of 10.9 per cent, to enable operator Meridian Port Services (MPS) to recoup the cost of building the new container terminal 3 that was completed in June.

MPS holds an 85 per cent stake in the new terminal and port landlord Ghana Ports and Harbour Authority (GPHA) holds the remaining 15 per cent. The port is now the biggest container facility in west Africa, with annual handling capacity of 3.5 million TEU.



MPS, which is owned by Bollore and APM Terminals, had requested earlier this year that tariffs be increased when the new container terminal was completed but this was opposed by port users, including the Ghana National Chamber of Commerce and the Ghana Institute of Freight Forwarders, reported London's WorldCargo News.



The dominant role of MPS at the port has also been opposed by the Maritime and Dockworkers' Union (MDU), which is concerned that the completion of the new reefer facility at terminal 3 could lead to job losses at GPHA's 800-TEU capacity reefer yard.



Reports in Ghana suggest that the higher port tariffs have been agreed in exchange for GPHA taking a 20 per cent slice of container turnover at the port to compensate for its lost income from MPS's other activities.


WORLD SHIPPING

This news 233 hits received.