Port of Long Beach approves $40M for zero-emissions truck network and enhances incentives for clean vessels, advancing regional air quality.
The Port of Long Beach, the second-busiest container seaport in the United States, unanimously approved three new 'CAAP Plus' Clean Air Action Plan strategies on Monday, committing $40 million toward a regionwide zero-emissions truck charging network and strengthening incentives for the cleanest vessels and trucks serving the nation's largest ports complex.
The Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners voted in favor of the measures in coordination with the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) and the Port of Los Angeles, advancing a shared goal of zero-emissions goods movement across the San Pedro Bay. The vote followed SCAQMD Board approval on Aug 7. The Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners is scheduled to consider the same measures on Aug 13.
The strategies expand on the Cooperative Agreement adopted by the two ports and SCAQMD in December 2025. They include:
* $40 million in new funding from the ports to build a regionwide zero-emissions truck charging network;
* Enhancements to existing green ship incentive programs to encourage visits from the cleanest available oceangoing vessels; and
* A new incentive program to accelerate the deployment of zero-emissions trucks.
The measures form part of an addendum to the Cooperative Agreement and build on the voluntary San Pedro Bay Clean Air Action Plan, a program that has delivered measurable emissions reductions since its adoption. Since 2005, port-related sources have cut diesel particulate matter by 90 percent, nitrogen oxides by 68 percent, and sulfur oxides by 98 percent.
The Port of Long Beach currently operates 102 charging stations on site—the most of any seaport in the United States—with 92 additional stations set to come online later this year. The new addendum extends charging infrastructure beyond the complex to key locations across Southern California, positioning the region's heavy-duty truck fleet for a broader transition to electric power.
The three-party Cooperative Agreement was structured to keep both ports competitive while they complete comprehensive zero-emissions infrastructure plans. The first phase of those plans is expected in spring 2027.
Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson tied the strategies to the city's broader economic outlook.
'In Long Beach, the health of our economy is tied to the health of our environment,' Richardson said. 'These strategies are exciting because not only do they accelerate the journey toward cleaner, electrified operations at the Port of Long Beach, they benefit the entire region by growing charging infrastructure used by heavy-duty trucks across Southern California. Together with SCAQMD, the Port of Los Angeles, and our many partners, we're helping define what a resilient, sustainable supply chain looks like—while supporting good-paying jobs and protecting our communities.'
Harbor Commission President Steven Neal described the measures as the product of extended public engagement.
'These measures are an evolution of the collaborative framework established last year and enable us to make progress toward zero emissions through concrete, measurable, and transparent actions,' Neal said. 'We appreciate the partnership with SCAQMD staff to get to this point, which involved more than six months of public input, meetings, and discussions.'
Port of Long Beach CEO Dr. Noel Hacegaba framed the approval within the port's long-term growth strategy.
'As we prepare to handle 20 million TEUs by 2050, we are building the Port of the Future—a 100% zero-emissions port,' Hacegaba said. 'This new set of clean-air strategies strengthens our commitment, accelerates the zero-emissions transition, and ensures cleaner air across the South Coast Air Basin.'
