The Port of Shenzhen terminal has operated at reduced levels since the end of May following the introduction of quarantine and disinfection measures due to a local Covid outbreak.
YICT terminal capacity has recovered to 75 per cent of normal levels, forwarders and carriers said.
That is an improvement from the 45 per cent level reached Friday through YICT reopening a fourth berth at the East Port area, which predominately serves long-haul services.
The move has reduced the yard density to 70 per cent and allowed YICT to ease restrictions on laden export containers so that gate-in is now permitted seven days before vessel arrival compared with three days previously.
YICT has also raised the number of trucks allowed into the terminal to 8,000 daily, up from 6,000 last week.
'South China is a big problem. Ports like Shekou and Nansha are increasingly congested. Yantian has improved its operations, and in a week from today, we will be able to see how that functions,' said Hapag-Lloyd CEO Rolf Habben Jansen.
'Yantian has a huge throughput and if the port is blocked for two weeks, that creates a scarcity of capacity. There are around 400,000 TEU a week, so if that is cut in half for a couple of weeks, it will have an impact.'